Between the 90 degree days we've had all week, and no rainfall in the past 10 days, everything at the farm has been covered with a layer of dust ... even some of us farmers at times. Yesterday, as I flew up the lane in my sweet little golf cart with its newly rebuilt turbo charged engine (OK ... not really turbo charged), I unknowingly left quite a cloud behind. And when those I passed in other vehicles did catch up with me ... they weren't exactly admiring my reborn wheels or speed. Choke ... choke ... spit dirt ... choke. Might be time to accessorize my "baby" with a rear view mirror! Never needed one of those before (smile).
Anyway, we've had to irrigate this week, and now ... today ... God is doing the irrigating! Blessed rain ... gentle, steady, reviving, soaking rain....
Irrigating a field requires a pump in the creek, a tractor to power it, long pipes assembled tightly to carry the water, and about 8 hands on deck. We let it run for 2 hours, and then move it to another dry section of corn. This is hot work in 93 degree weather, and the fellas get thirsty and need water too. This year, instead of single use water bottles, we've gone GREEN ... with our PHDs. Well, that's what we call them. It's short for Personal Hydration Devices. Fill with ice and water and you're good to go. It's working out pretty well, too - saving money and the environment.
Wanted to show you a couple of little guys who also had their mouths open for a little refreshment yesterday. Aren't they cute??? They seem to have learned my approach whistle, and when I open the door to the box, they've all got their mouths open! Guess I should start carrying some meal worms in my pocket ... now there's a yucky thought! This is the second batch of blue birds for the summer ... and they're thriving!
Now, you may ask, "How did she take these pictures? Speaking of dust, I thought her camera had rigor mortis, that is, bit the dust!"
Truth is, I had a borrowed camera in my pocket yesterday. And today ... glorious, rainy day ... I went out and ordered a new one. Should be here within a week - the sooner, the better! Til then, I had one or two pictures taken last month that I've been holding back.
...but, that's it from the farm for today.
Anyway, we've had to irrigate this week, and now ... today ... God is doing the irrigating! Blessed rain ... gentle, steady, reviving, soaking rain....
Irrigating a field requires a pump in the creek, a tractor to power it, long pipes assembled tightly to carry the water, and about 8 hands on deck. We let it run for 2 hours, and then move it to another dry section of corn. This is hot work in 93 degree weather, and the fellas get thirsty and need water too. This year, instead of single use water bottles, we've gone GREEN ... with our PHDs. Well, that's what we call them. It's short for Personal Hydration Devices. Fill with ice and water and you're good to go. It's working out pretty well, too - saving money and the environment.
Wanted to show you a couple of little guys who also had their mouths open for a little refreshment yesterday. Aren't they cute??? They seem to have learned my approach whistle, and when I open the door to the box, they've all got their mouths open! Guess I should start carrying some meal worms in my pocket ... now there's a yucky thought! This is the second batch of blue birds for the summer ... and they're thriving!
Now, you may ask, "How did she take these pictures? Speaking of dust, I thought her camera had rigor mortis, that is, bit the dust!"
Truth is, I had a borrowed camera in my pocket yesterday. And today ... glorious, rainy day ... I went out and ordered a new one. Should be here within a week - the sooner, the better! Til then, I had one or two pictures taken last month that I've been holding back.
...but, that's it from the farm for today.


0 comments: