"Where you tend a rose, my lad, a thistle cannot grow." - F. H. Burnett


Yesterday I finished reading a children's book called The Secret Garden  by Frances Hodgson Burnett.  I had seen the movie, but never read the book.  It's the story of a pair of abandoned, misfit children who bring back to life a garden that itself had been abandoned for ten years.  Over time, with faith and much hard work...pulling weeds and planting roses...both the garden and the children are restored to beauty and life.

I was thinking today about the above quote as I was weeding in my flower garden.  Where you tend a rose, a thistle cannot grow....both cannot grow in the same space...roses and thistles,  good thoughts...bad thoughts,  loving attitudes...selfish attitudes, good deeds...evil deeds.   A good premise for...gardens...and for life.  Lord, help my heart to be full of roses, not thistles.

The thunderstorm that brought an inch and a half of rain this week has made everything appear to be greener and bigger.  The first planting of corn now has ears and "silk" showing.  (For those of you who aren't country folk...that's not a silk slip showing.  The long strands or fibers that come out of the top of the husk on the ear are called silk.  Once pollinated, kernels begin to develop.  There goes the "knee high by the Fourth of July" theory!!!

I noticed lots of blossoms on the cucumbers, zucchini and yellow squash.  We were warned that powdery mildew could be bad this year, so the plants were sprayed for that today.  Cultivating is a daily chore.  So is weeding.

The Zinnias are in full bloom and several kinds of sunflowers are showing their sunny faces.  Blue ageratum and purple verbena are adding contrast.  I will have to take a break from weeding and pick a bouquet to show you a photograph next time. But, I really think the calla lilies deserve a spot here today.  They really surprised me one morning this week with their appearance.  Very beautiful.... 

Where you tend a Calla Lily, a thistle cannot grow...



This entry was posted on Friday, June 25, 2010 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: