"Gardening (farming) is an exercise in optimism. Sometimes, it is a triumph of hope over experience." - Marina Schinz
Five rows of "flower" plastic are now filled with plants...and the wonder is... that only 4-6 weeks ago...these "plants" were tiny, lifeless-appearing seeds. And hopefully, in another 4-6 weeks...there will be myriads of colorful blooms gracing these rows. The first zinnias surprised me with an appearance on June 1st.
A walk was in order yesterday morning. It had been a few days since I'd checked the "Bluebird" boxes. There are four of them. All but one have residents, or at least a nest in them. But, not all are Bluebirds. Tree Swallows often move in, and since they are blue-green in color and somewhat social birds, I welcome them. They often are attracted to nesting boxes, and will travel great distances to find dropped feathers to line their grass nests. This one has been busy!
Five eggs!

What joy it is to sit still...and listen...and watch...and wait...at the farm for the unexpected. Yesterday, it was this beauty. She looked at me, and I looked at her...and with mutual respect, we each quietly followed our own paths.
The fields are rapidly filling up with produce. Zukes, cukes, yellow squash were planted yesterday while I was on my nature walk. These are planted successively...meaning, at spaced intervals...so that there will be fresh plants to take over when the older ones are tired of producing. Ah, not a bad idea! A Fall pumpkin crop was also planted yesterday. Once the planting is done, the focus becomes care taking and nurturing...that is...watering and fertilizing and of course, doing battle with the weeds and thistles.
And, of course...staying optimistic!!!
Five rows of "flower" plastic are now filled with plants...and the wonder is... that only 4-6 weeks ago...these "plants" were tiny, lifeless-appearing seeds. And hopefully, in another 4-6 weeks...there will be myriads of colorful blooms gracing these rows. The first zinnias surprised me with an appearance on June 1st.
A walk was in order yesterday morning. It had been a few days since I'd checked the "Bluebird" boxes. There are four of them. All but one have residents, or at least a nest in them. But, not all are Bluebirds. Tree Swallows often move in, and since they are blue-green in color and somewhat social birds, I welcome them. They often are attracted to nesting boxes, and will travel great distances to find dropped feathers to line their grass nests. This one has been busy!
Five eggs!
What joy it is to sit still...and listen...and watch...and wait...at the farm for the unexpected. Yesterday, it was this beauty. She looked at me, and I looked at her...and with mutual respect, we each quietly followed our own paths.
And, of course...staying optimistic!!!
0 comments: