Strange things have been going on around the farm as we enter our sixth week of corn season. "Frank" - the farm cat that stopped by for a visit a few months ago and chose to stay - now has a swollen belly, a voracious (I've always wanted to use that word) appetite, nipples (yes, nipples) and is much less aloof.
Diagnosis: Frank is not Frank - Frank is FRANKETTE - and is going to have kittens!
Now, I know what you're all thinking ..."smart bunch of farmers...of all people...shouldn't they know about the birds and the bees?" And all I'm going to say about that is, "Yes, you're right ... they should."
"It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's...."
Something strange has been appearing in my flower beds. At first I thought it was a hummingbird. It moved with quick, darting motions ... hovering over the flowers as it sipped on nectar ... just like a hummingbird. But, it wasn't. It's actually a MOTH ... a Hummingbird Moth. Who knew!? They seem to like the verbena.
At first glance, you might think these three guys are just sitting around on their buckets, chewing the fat. And you'd be wrong. They're actually doing something productive (we take pride around here in working "smarter, not harder"). They're actually picking beans! It's a little strange, but much easier on the back - and you get a lot more helpers doing it this way!
Business is slowing down a bit during the week as the start of school approaches. Weekends are still pretty crazy though. Saturday, Chuck oversaw the gathering of over THREE HUNDRED DOZEN (300 x 12 = 3,600) ears of corn which was pre-ordered for special groups - on top of keeping the stand stocked. But occasionally - on the weekdays - I have noticed artistic flairs rising in some of our young lads. This melon sculpture is one of the best so far.
Strange, but true....til next time...
WAIT!!! Stop the presses!!! Breaking news!!! This afternoon, when I went into the granary to return something, I heard a little "Mew! Mew!" And guess what I found with his mother...in the bottom of a very narrow, very deep cardboard box??? A little "Frank-ette"... cute as can be!!! Here's the newborn picture. More updates to follow ... hope he grows into that nose!
Diagnosis: Frank is not Frank - Frank is FRANKETTE - and is going to have kittens!
Now, I know what you're all thinking ..."smart bunch of farmers...of all people...shouldn't they know about the birds and the bees?" And all I'm going to say about that is, "Yes, you're right ... they should."
"It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's...."
Something strange has been appearing in my flower beds. At first I thought it was a hummingbird. It moved with quick, darting motions ... hovering over the flowers as it sipped on nectar ... just like a hummingbird. But, it wasn't. It's actually a MOTH ... a Hummingbird Moth. Who knew!? They seem to like the verbena.
At first glance, you might think these three guys are just sitting around on their buckets, chewing the fat. And you'd be wrong. They're actually doing something productive (we take pride around here in working "smarter, not harder"). They're actually picking beans! It's a little strange, but much easier on the back - and you get a lot more helpers doing it this way!
Business is slowing down a bit during the week as the start of school approaches. Weekends are still pretty crazy though. Saturday, Chuck oversaw the gathering of over THREE HUNDRED DOZEN (300 x 12 = 3,600) ears of corn which was pre-ordered for special groups - on top of keeping the stand stocked. But occasionally - on the weekdays - I have noticed artistic flairs rising in some of our young lads. This melon sculpture is one of the best so far.
WAIT!!! Stop the presses!!! Breaking news!!! This afternoon, when I went into the granary to return something, I heard a little "Mew! Mew!" And guess what I found with his mother...in the bottom of a very narrow, very deep cardboard box??? A little "Frank-ette"... cute as can be!!! Here's the newborn picture. More updates to follow ... hope he grows into that nose!
0 comments: